bradubuntu linux

My experience setting up a computer with Ubuntu linux

16 March 2007

Wireless Setup: Part 2

My wireless card apparently works, but I can't connect to anything. My wireless router at home used WPA security, so I decided to take my laptop to ASU, which has a public wireless network. Using the Networking control panel, I can enter the SSID for the ASU network ("asu") but it still won't work. The website for ndiswrapper mentions that the wg511v2 driver interferes with another driver called mrv8k and I need to "blacklist" mrv8k from loading at startup.

rmmod mrv8k
cp /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_backup
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

and add

blacklist mrv8k

to the end of the file. After another reboot, I still can't connect. I don't even think mrv8k was there to begin with. I tried messing around with different Windows drivers and versions of ndiswrapper, but nothing was working. I couldn't even connect to a public network! So I reinstalled ndiswrapper 1.8 and the Windows 2000 driver, and all of the sudden the yellow light started blinking! Success! I don't know what changed, but the card started working correctly.

The little network connection icon on the top right of the screen still showed that I was disconnected. But it was for my unplugged wired ethernet connection (eth0). Right clicking on the icon and selecting "Properties" allowed me to monitor my wlan0 connection. It also showed a signal strength monitor as well. Pretty neat. But I still have to try and get it to connect to my secure WPA router at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home